Thursday, May 20, 2010

Preparaciones!!

Welcome to my blog (or, as I like to call it, Nihon no buro-gu)! I'm approaching ridiculous levels of excitement for my trip to Japan on June 1st. I've been practicing my Japanese nearly every day, obsessively going over a packing list in my head and on my computer, and planning details with my friends Yuwa (from UNC) and Saaya (a friend of Yuwa's in Tokyo). I've got my Kanji Sonomama electronic dictionary, my passport, my excited face on, and a whole lot of other stuff. Details:

-My program description is here! So awesome: http://studyabroad.unc.edu/programs.cfm?pk=1870
-For the first few days in Japan, I'll do an orientation with the other students on the trip at IES (https://www.iesabroad.org/IES/home.html) while trying to get over jetlag.
-For the next eight weeks, I'll wake up super-early at my host family's apartment, get on the train to IES, take hardxcore Japanese classes every weekday in the morning (and some days in the afternoon), with the exception of a few class field trips and one 4-day weekend.
-Every afternoon, I plan to explore Japan with my friends and classmates and strangers and men on the subway until I have eaten everything in Tokyo and taken a photo of every interesting Japanese object.
-Every night, I will cry that I did not do my homework during the day because I must do it before class the next morning. Then I will do my homework. Somewhere in here, I hope to update el blogo on a semi-regular basis.
-On the weekends, I will play like crazy and visit fun places with Yuwa, Saaya, and my new friends.
-On the 4-day weekend, I'm going to CLIMB MT. FUJI OMG (MAYBE). :D I really want to, but even if I just end up visiting it, I'll be happy. I don't want to get altitude sickness and I've never climbed a whole mountain before.
-On July 25th, when my Japanese classes end and many of the people from UNC go home, I will stay for a week to travel with Yuwa! Right now we are thinking about going to Yufuin in the south of Japan and sight-seeing on the way down there.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where I should go or what I should do/eat/buy? It doesn't matter if you know what you're talking about or not, I want to hear it and I WILL do my best to try it. At least I could take a picture of it. :) Don't say seppuku! I've already gotten a recommendation to eat natto ("a sticky, stinky bean") and I'll give it a try.  Any recommendations on what I should NOT do? I've learned a fair amount about Japanese faux pas but I welcome more advice especially if it's well-founded.

My blog will have many photos on it, I hope! I'm taking my camera everywhere with me. #1 photo priority: Japanese meals. I will try to include Japanese language on this blog and I'll do my best to avoid "Engrish" but it sometimes happens when I'm trying to language-multitask.

YES!!! Only twelve more days!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you!!

    I hope you update this blog frequently enough (and in English) so that we can follow your trip!

    Seriously though, have an amazing trip Caroline. May the samurai be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun in Japan! I've already forgotten much of my japanese since 203 >.<
    ~yu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would recommend taking some omiyage -- small things from here, like little gifts of foods and stuff -- for when you visit people's houses. They would think it was cool that you brought them American things from where you are from... There are your faux-pas you hear about, like not sticking things with your chopsticks, and you should listen to them, but I found those things to not be too big of a deal. It's a very polite culture, but you knew that already; you will be fine! Try reading Japan: Culture Shock if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    It's Saaya.

    I'm really looking forward to seeing you in Tokyo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is John Michael! (My google name is Julio because I created this account for a Spanish blog). Hope you have a fun time in Japan. I suggest you... avoid getting groped on the packed trains! Or try to, whichever one tickles your fancy. No, but really, have tons of tons of fun and tell us all about, but if you get behind on the blog, we'll forgive you. Learn a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I won't forgive you if you get behind on this blog ;P. I'm excited for in Japan update #1.

    ReplyDelete