Friday, May 21, 2010

Updates already!

Today I got my housing assignment via email!!! I am excited but nervous because I apparently can't look it up on Google Maps because I don't understand how addresses work yet. However, my host family lives in/on? Minamisuna in Koto-ku, a special ward of Tokyo, and it looks like my daily commute (walking and train) will be about an hour, which is pretty good for Tokyo. Here is information about Koto-ku in electronically-translated English: http://www.city.koto.lg.jp/language/lang-eng/index.html
http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/tokyo/koto.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kōtō,_Tokyo
  Apparently it looks like this! I will take photos when I get there, although probably not from this angle. :)
My host family consists of a couple and an 8-year-old son! No pets or smoking. The name seems to be Namiko Moriyama (first then last). I must get used to saying Moriyama-san or I wonder if they will let me call them Mom and Dad. :D

Haha, there are only three boys on my trip, 13 students in total.

Here are special dates for my trip, on the schedule I received:
June 2-4: Orientation
June 5: Meet host family and depart to house
June 7: Classes start, generally 9-12:30 every weekday then free time, with exception of a few cultural activities
June 12: first real weekend, dinner with Saaya!
June 14: Kabuki after class
June 17: visit elementary school!!
June 18-20: Visit Nikko, Japan on school field trip
June 25: Visit famous Ghibli museum of anime
July 2: Tea Ceremony after class
July 3: Kamakura day trip
July 8-11: Long weekend! MT FUJI TIME
July 19: Holiday, I wonder what I will do!
July 23: Sayonara party
July 25-Aug 1: I leave my host family's house to travel with Yuwa. :)
Aug 2: I fly back to NYC (leave Tokyo at 6pm, arrive in NYC at 6:05pm, haha)

SO EXCITED.

PS: Did you know that Koto special ward has 28,671 people per square mile? Holy crap!!
PPS: This blog will include many exclamation points and smiley faces.

8 comments:

  1. You're gong to the Ghibli museum?!?!?!? Jealous!!!! Make sure you watch My Neighbor Totoro before going there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please please please post every social faux pas that you make in Japan Caroline. I imagine there will be some funny stories =).

    Hehe on a serious note though, rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice, Kalli! I've only seen the first half of Totoro, so I should watch the rest.

    Amit, I will post my faux pas, which are sure to be humiliating. I already know:
    1) don't poke/stab food with chopsticks
    2) don't eat while walking
    3) don't enter the kitchen or non-guest parts of the house without asking
    4) don't waste water
    5) don't get into the bath without showering first
    6) don't rest the chopsticks against the side of the bowl
    7) don't be noisy or put on makeup or talk on the phone on the train

    OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #7: Don't put on makeup on the train.

    Oh man you are so screwed on that one. Every time you get on trains that's all you can do Caroline. Good luck trying to adapt ;P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to eat while walking!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so impressed with your itinerary. Was most of that determined by the traveling company? How much of it did you have control over?

    ReplyDelete
  7. And did I mention... I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED FOR YOU!!!! Gahhh, the glory that is Japan! I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kalli, actually the plans were not by the travel company but by UNC Study Abroad. They are part of the program and fulfill course/cultural requirements. :) I have complete control over the leisure travel after July 25th, though.

    ReplyDelete