Tuesday, June 8, 2010

いろいろなこと。。。

For breakfast, my host mom made me onigiri with tuna in the middle!!!!!!!!!!! It was the most delicious thing ever, and certainly the most delicious sushi I've ever had. I was going to save the two pieces for lunch but instead I ate them before and during class. :D They were big! I wasn't hungry during class. :)

Class today was nice again, but I did get frustrated when my classmates would answer the questions I was asking to the teacher. I find that very annoying, especially when my classmates use English and I was hoping to hear the explanation in Japanese from my teacher. I don't have too much homework but it is a lot of memorization.

This is my lunch. Mmmmm. I believe the white container on the right is pudding, but it might have been yogurt. It was somewhat milky in consistency and taste, but good. I can't tell if it's healthy or not, though. But if anyone tells you that Japanese portions are small, they are lying. I am always stuffed here, and some people on the trip, me included, sometimes have difficulty finishing our meals.

Today I used a Japanese squatting toilet for the first time! It was delightful. Much like peeing in the wilderness, except this time toilet paper was provided! Hooray!

It was cloudy today and rained for the first time since I've been here. The rainy season starts soon if not today; it rains every day for about a month, haha. Tomorrow's weather calls for rain too. My umbrella is small!!

After class, Robaato-san and I went to the mall because everyone else is lame and went home or did homework instead of having fun. Robaato-san knows where it's at. Anyway, we went to an arcade and he played a fun drumming game. I was going to try a game but I couldn't decide which one. Then he went looking for folders so I followed. We saw gay erotic manga in the grocery store, that was really cool.

Faux pas check:
1. Today I was on the train and I wasn't holding on to anything because I was looking at a worksheet. There were no seats and it was a really packed train. The train suddenly turned and I basically fell onto this old man who was sitting down. It wasn't a delicate fall, either, so everyone looked at the dumb American girl flailing around. I apologized but he didn't say anything, so I bet he was pissed. I know I would be pissed if a foreigner fell on me. I didn't get hurt and neither did he, though, because I managed to catch myself. It was REALLY embarrassing.
2. Last night, I was taking a shower and failed to make the water anything other than freezing. So I called to Namiko-san and asked for help. The shower, like many things in Japan, has a control panel with buttons covered in kanji that I can't read, so I didn't want to press all of the buttons and explode the shower. When Namiko-san came over, I tried to say "Omizu wa tsumetai desu." (the water is cold) but instead I said, "Omizu wa tsumaranai desu." (The water is boring). I knew right away that I had said it wrong because she started laughing and so I did too. :) I believe I have that particular word for "water" incorrect too; I think that's only the kind of water that people drink.

For dinner we had amazing pork dumpling and rice. I ate probably 20 dumplings. omg, so good. Then for dessert, my host mom gave me cheese-flavored ice cream and fruity alcoholic cocktail drinks. :D I have yet to become tipsy, though.

THE APARTMENT IS FULL OF POKEMON SOUNDS because we watch Pokemon all the time. :)  Did you know that the Japanese Pokemon show is quite different from the English one? The voice actors sound completely different but also Ash's name is Satoshi. Satoshi's voice actor is female, if I understand my host mom correctly. :) Also, I believe the show here goes by the name "Poketo Monstaa". It reminds me of the good ol' days. PIKAAAA.

5 comments:

  1. Omg, so jealous of those dumplings! I love reading your blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your travails and triumphs continue to be awesomely entertaining for us mere armchair travellers. :-) You have such a great attitude, and you're going to find something new to enjoy every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you in a class with other Japanese students from Japan, or are you in a class with other study abroad kids from your group only?

    Haha yea I have always heard that Japanese portions are small myself. Maybe you just don't eat very much at once (which is consistent with how you eat in America hahaha).

    CAROLINE POPPED A SQUAT :D. Hah.

    YES ARCADES OH YES.

    To be honest that train incident sounds pretty funny now, although it sounds embarrassing in the moment hehe.

    I'm so glad that Pokemon still rules the world in Japan. Pokemon was the SHIT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, I am in a class with American students, most from North Carolina but one really cool one from China who goes to UNC. I think I would learn a LOT more Japanese if I were in a class with/surrounded by only Japanese students. There are, in fact, several people in my intermediate (aka 2 years!!) Japanese class who REFUSE to speak anything other than English outside the classroom. It makes me want to scream! I didn't come all the way from America to hear annoying people blabbing in English in my ears. :( I would understand it if they were in the beginner class but they are not. They are just failtastic, in my humble opinion. They (and I) will never get better if we are only hearing English. It seems so rude to me that, even when I asked them not to speak English near me, they became even louder. :/

    No, Japanese portions are HUGE. I eat until I am exploding. In fact, right now I am so full that even looking at the food pictures on this blog is making me feel ill. ;) It's really amazing food, though!

    It is convenient to pop a squat! The other toilets are often occupied.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh it gets on my nerves when other students answer my questions. You should shut them down.

    also, congrats on popping a squat! totally badass

    ReplyDelete