Friday, June 11, 2010

Harajuku and Shibuya!

Last night I went to bed at midnight, so getting up at 6:40am was really difficult. I was tired during class, so I couldn't concentrate in the latter half. I managed to get a 16/17 on my quiz, though! I'm totally exhausted right now so I hope this blog makes some sense.

There were Japanese people handing out Japanese bibles at the Kaihin-makuhari station this morning. It was very strange to see it in Japanese.

Robert, Ethan, and I decided to meet up with Nami, my Japanese student e-pal, in Harajuku. :) The train ride from Kaihin-makuhari to Tokyo station and then to Harajuku was a lot longer than I expected! It took about an hour or a little longer, because we missed one of the trains. Luckily, another one came in five minutes, as often happens in Tokyo. :) The ride was difficult because it was all new scenery to me; I haven't ridden any trains other than the ones that go to and from Toyocho and Kaihin-makuhari. We passed a huge ferris wheel, a modern windmill and solar panels, and Tokyo Disneyland on the way there.

We shopped around for furugi, or second-hand clothes, in Harajuku, which is known for its clothing and inexpensive items. However, furugi was generally $20 at the cheapest, and sometimes much more expensive. I was extremely surprised. The really cheap stuff (like a plain white shirt for $3) was not good at all. We saw some Vanderbilt and Texas shirts, though, haha. Those were in the lame pile; the cool Japanese-looking clothes were much more expensive. The used clothing stores had chandeliers on their ceilings. It did not look like a Goodwill to me. :) They had a lot of dresses and shirts that I really want, but I have such a limited amount of money that I'm not sure if I can buy them. Here are Ethan, Nami, and Robaato in Harajuku. I'll have to take a picture later of the more famous/interesting street in Harajuku.


There is a famous crepe dessert in Harajuku. I hope I will buy it soon!


We saw a dog that had a heart-shaped pattern on its back. I couldn't get a good picture but here is one. Hahaha.

We saw a condom store in Harajuku! It was called Condomania. Of course I had to photograph it.



We walked to Shibuya and saw the most incredible thing: an intersection that absolutely FLOODS with people every time the traffic lights allow them to cross! Nami said that more than 1,000 people cross the intersection, once every two minutes, and the flow of human traffic never stops no matter what time of day or night. I took some videos of it because it was just incredible. We also experienced the crossing firsthand, which was scary! My video of the intersection, as seen from a 2nd floor Starbucks.

Here are more epic pictures from Shibuya, not in chronological order as you can see by the sky. :)








We saw a black rapper in Shibuya!! He was asking people to listen to his music and then handing out CDs. That was pretty cool of him. :) His Japanese was good!



My dinner was really good but small. I love sushi but I would have rather eaten Namiko-san's delicious cooking. :) This is tuna sashimi.

After dinner, we went to Book-Off, a discount media store. I bought three manga books, one of which will probably be for John Michael. :) They were quite inexpensive (~$3.50) compared to American-bought manga, which can be $10 or much more. However, Japanese DVDs, even normal ones like Percy the Lightning Thief or something, were $40 or more! CDs are like $30. It was so hard to believe!

On the way home, I got lost in Tokyo Station. XD It's enormous!!! Eventually I figured out that I had to walk through this ominous hallway to get to a completely different station to get on a completely different set of trains (metro vs. trains). Some people stopped to help me out because I had a sad face on. I eventually found my way with the help of a nice older man, and then I called Namiko-san to tell her I was on my way. She and Tomoaki-san decided to pick me up from Toyocho station in the car, although  it wasn't necessary and I said so. It was nice to get a ride, though. :)

Tomorrow I am going to Shibuya/Harajuku again with Saaya! :D I am very excited to see it again, because today there was so much to see that I felt a little rushed.

On Sunday, my host family is taking me to an arcade with Taku-chan. :) That will be a lot of fun! I hope I don't spend all of my money.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my god Caroline come on almost 7 full hours of sleep is not bad at all :P. I get less than that most nights of college!

    Do you have a copy of the Japanese bible?

    Had you ever met Nami before now?

    CONDOMANIA CONDOMANIA CONDOMANIA HAHAHAHAHA!

    Where are those "thousands of people every 2 minutes" when they are not in the middle of the intersection? are the street sidewalks big enough for that? How long is the intersection "walk" sign on for that kind of crowd? Holy shit. This is almost like what I'd expect in India, except most places in India don't have organized traffic like that - the thousands of people just cross whenever wherever they want haha.

    This city area and the Japanese people both look really cool!

    Was the black rapper rapping in English or Japanese? Hahaha.

    I'm surprised that the DVDs and music are so expensive. I'd think people would just pirate everything, so how could it possibly be so expensive. Or maybe, everyone pirates everything BECAUSE it is so expensive hahaha. I just can't believe such a technologically connected nation of people does not utilize internet piracy :P.

    I CAN"T WAIT UNTIL SUNDAY ARCADE TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Japanese life is hard! So I need more sleep than I get in college, where I sometimes am sleepy in class.

    I didn't get a Japanese bible because I didn't know if it was free or not. But I told the man in Japanese, "I already have this book."

    Yes, I met Nami on our first night here when we had an IES party with the staff and our e-pals. That's when Shiho took us to the beach, but Nami had to get back home.

    They had really crazy stuff in that Condomania store. :)

    The thousands of people are constantly arriving from the Shibuya train station which is on that intersection. Then they flood into Shibuya into the thousands of shopping malls, businesses, and restaurants. :) It's a really crowded and crazy place!! I believe it was featured in Lost in Translation.

    The black artist did R&B and rap in English, but it was so funny: his artist title was "Gaijin" which is short for gaikokujin or "foreigner". :) He gave his CD to Robaato-san who said it was actually pretty good.

    I'm not sure about Japanese internet piracy but I'm sure it's very illegal, perhaps more than in the US. I don't see pirated stuff for sale here like I did in Mexico. Pirated stuff was on every street corner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Illegality of piracy doesn't matter, because it's impossible to enforce over the internet with large populations basically. Japanese people on average are better with computers and more likely to be good at pirating shit than people in America (on average) in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did the black rapper rap in Japanese?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he rapped in English. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Condomania is awesome. So is the black rapper. Was he Japanese as well as black? Like African-Japanese?

    Can't wait to see the mangas! Are they the ones you sent us pictures of?

    ReplyDelete