Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Kyou wa...eto...

Today's class was unremarkable. I learned things in Japanese! One neat thing from a few days ago that I learned is that when Japanese people make tally marks, such as Americans do in straight, vertical lines up to 5, the Japanese people's tally marks form the character 正. Count the strokes; there are five! It's probably easier to read that then four straight lines with a slash through them. :)

My friends and I weren't able to go to Akihabara today because we all have midterms soon (mine's on Tuesday) and it was pouring rain for most of the day. No adventures today. :( We went to the IES Center and studied, but mostly just chatted about various topics. It would be nice if we could do that in Japanese!

Here are some pictures of the view near my university once the sky cleared up, around the train station Kaihin Makuhari. See that tall hotel way in the distance? That's the one Robaato-san and I climbed all the way to the 50th floor. :D



The Technogarden buildings, which I walk through every morning and evening on my way to and from Kanda University. They are right by the station.


After school today on my walk home, I noticed some girls and their mom trying to catch crabs in the riverside park. Turns out the girls go to school with Takumi so the mom guessed that I was the Moriyama's exchange student. :D We chatted for a bit and I took a picture of a red crab.

For dessert tonight, my mom bought ice cream waffles!!! I ate the Hershey one on the top. YUMMM.

Then we all watched game shows again. It was great fun! See this beautiful singer?


She's actually a man!!! :D I didn't know but the voice sounded manly. :)


I have some hilarious videos from the gameshow watching tonight, but my internet keeps cutting out. :( Maybe it's my computer. Perhaps I'll upload them tomorrow!

I haven't had any major faux pas lately that I can think of, although... today I asked a restaurant worker if they sold sushi at that restaurant, and she was like, "Eto... this is a Chinese restaurant, so no." Haha. :D 

I have gotten better with chopsticks, I think! In the US, I used to think I was hot stuff with chopsticks because I could easily eat sushi with them. But now that I'm here, I can pick up bunches of wet noodles from soba or ramen, slick/round tomatoes, and individual grains of rice. :D I can even cut meat with my chopsticks! When I first got here, I dropped my food a lot, haha. 

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. I think it would be easier to read American tallies at a one second glance on a sheet of paper than Japanese tallies, once you get to numbers that don't end in 5 or 0. But maybe I'm just biased to my own system ;).

    The like two times in my life that I've tried using chopsticks have both been horrible experiences that led me to think that eating with my hands would be way more efficient and neater. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll teach you how to use chopsticks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clap clap on chopstick use! And that man singer that looks like a girl is pretty funny (that is to say, looks pretty funny). Amusing. :D

    ReplyDelete