Monday, June 21, 2010

Tokyo Sky Tree and lots of delicious food :)

Today was a little rough because we had class from 9am to 5pm to make up for the time when we were in Nikko. Two quizzes today and there's a test tomorrow! And an essay due Wednesday and a survey sheet due Thursday. On Friday we go to the Ghibli Museum. At least I am never bored here but wow, so busy.

Yesterday my family took me to see the new Tokyo Tower, called the Tokyo Sky Tree. It won't be finished until 2012 but it's already taller than the old Tokyo Tower!! It's ridiculously huge. I can't wait to come back to see it in all its glory. :) Can you even grasp how tall this building is right now??? Look at the cranes on the top of it!


 For perspective, here it is from far away with some buildings in the foreground.

We saw this on our way to the PIZZA PLACE because my host family is so caring and they remembered that I was missing pizza and pasta. :D We got one pizza that was half-Italian classic and half-avocado and Thousand Island dressing. ;D 

Japanese pizza is cool!! It's not like American pizza. This other one is Taku-chan's favorite:
Yep, that's boiled egg, hot dog, and potato pizza. :) This is normal here! Click here to check out the menu:

 YUMMMM.

Tonight my family made pasta!!! So good, Namiko-san is Japan's best cook. :D

 Cheese sauce and bacon! :D

 Potato-like things in tomato sauce!


 Last night's dinner, so yummy. It was fried pork (katsu) wrapped around cheese, umeboshi, or asparagus, depending on the plate. I was surprised to like the umeboshi katsu, because I really don't like plain umeboshi. It's too sour for me, but with pork it was great!

I need to go to bed now but I wanted to share a cool thing about my host family's apartment. There isn't a parking garage but they have parking spaces that can be raised and lowered into the ground, and then you drive into your space. The spaces on the top here are the most expensive (rented by the month, I believe) but also the most convenient; my family has the top space. In this picture, you can see a small boy operating the remote control to move his family's car back underground.


Here's another one on the other side of the building. In this one, I believe the bottom space is the most expensive because it takes the least time to park. What a neat way to park a number of cars in a small space!! I believe this is common to places other than just my family's apartment.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, now that's parking efficiently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need those parking elevator things in Chapel Hill ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That parking is cool!! We could use some of that in our big cities here.
    Can you get that pawta with bacon, asparagus, and cheese recipe for me from Namiko-san? It looks delicious! The pizza looks good too. Don't think I'd like hot dogs on mine, though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha wow that's funny. That same kind of parking structure is what some Indian big malls/theatre areas have. I was so surprised to see another country having something innovative and efficient that we didn't also have in some way. I think the much higher population density in both Japan and India has led the countries to some solutions we haven't had to turn to that would be really good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it really makes a lot of sense. Although my favorite parking structure is the one from I, Robot. :) Have you seen that movie? http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/content07/robot-garage-irobot.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen that movie, it's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete