Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 2???

The Japanese are so concerned about conservation, especially of water (shorter showers are required), yet their toilets use like 20 gallons for each flush. It makes me feel bad to go to the bathroom! I have only used the Western toilets so far.... I'm sure I'll get brave enough to use the squat toilets soon.

My teacher always told me, "HUG JYA NAI" (no hugs!) in Japan, but yesterday, a Japanese student from Kanda University hugged me before I even knew her name! I told her that hugs were supposed to be nonexistent in Japan but she said, "Noooo, I love hugs, I ask for hugs every day." She was adorable. :D

Last night we met our friends from KUIS (Kanda University of International Studies, I think) and they are AWESOME. The awesomest of all is Shiho, who took us to get alcohol at the supermarket and then we all went to the beach. It's cool being the drinking age here. :) I got a wonderful peach drink that was only about $1. The beach was really neat at night, and it smells sandy and salty just like Wilmington's beachy air. There were Japanese school kids still in their uniforms shooting fireworks at each other. I asked them if they had an extra sparkler but they lied and told me no, haha. We saw them later with sparklers. ;) Oh well, I am a stranger anyway. Shiho told us that she got drunk the night before and went to the beach with fireworks too. I guess it's a pastime here! We walked out on the pier and looked at all the water. I think we could see Tokyo from there.
< ---the Aeon grocery store, or as Robert calls it "Target on crack", serves everything including tons of kinds of alcohol. In this picture you can see Yogurt Alcohol.
I chatted with a friend on the IES trip about how we are accustomed to seeing the Japanese schoolgirl outfits only in a romantic/sexual context, usually in anime. It feels so wrong to see girls of all different ages in the clothes that we are used to seeing in the US as a purely attractive thing for adults, because obviously these are normal outfits for them. It's a part of Japanese culture too, though; "sexy" manga starring young-looking girls in their schoolgirl outfits. Anyway, it's an interesting thing to think about why we make those associations.
This picture is a good example of how eye-catching those skirts and socks are

The people here are very attractive, men and women; and children are cuter than American children. It's not true that "all Asians look the same"; Japanese individuals look distinct for the most part. Last night I kept asking the same student for her name, and I felt bad because I forgot that I did actually know her name but I couldn't recognize her face. However, that has only happened with one person.

By the time I went to sleep last night, I was totally exhausted and my bed felt so nice. The pillows were so crazy though!! They had little, possibly foamy, balls in them and it made the pillow very firm. I ended up flipping the pillow over because I didn't want the rough texture pressing into my head.

Breakfast was amazing. I haven't eaten one bad/unappetizing thing in Japan yet, with the possible exception of natto. It was okay, but the person who described it to me as "a stinky, sticky bean" was correct. It is REALLY stinky and sticky. Slimy too. The yogurt is different here; more milky/watery. I failed at being Japanese this morning because I couldn't figure out how to get the green tea machine to work, and I forgot soy sauce and my chopsticks. Oh well, the nice lady at the cash register helped me.

This morning was orientation, and we learned about our host families and how to interact with them, the expectations for the school program, and how to commute to our new homes. We will meet our host families on Saturday. My family looks AMAZING. The parents are in their thirties and there is one boy who is 8. Take a look at this awesome photo. The form said they had hosted a student from UNC before and had a great experience. The little boy likes Pokemon cards and I BROUGHT HIM ENGLISH POKEMON CARDS OH YEAH! My commute to my house will probably take 70 minutes: 15 walking to the station, 35 on the train (subway then JR train, and sometimes a transfer), and 20 walking to the IES Center. The good news is that my station, Toyo-cho, is REALLY close to the main Tokyo Station, much closer than any of the other students in my class. The bad news is the long commute, although 1 hour is standard for Japan. The mom in my host family has a job in a financial company, which is unusual (housewife=most common thing for mothers). The dad is a systems engineer. I seriously can't wait to meet them; they seem ideal as a host family.

After orientation, I went back to my room to find the tiny trashcan had been emptied and I had received a new tube of baby toothpaste and new toiletries. For a society so concerned about conservation, they throw out so much stuff that could be reusable, like the razors and toothbrushes.

<------- I SAW AN INDIAN GUY IN JAPAN. He was working at an Indian restaurant in the mall and speaking Japanese. It was CUH-RAZY. I took pictures of him, haha. I didn't buy Indian food, though, instead I bought udon! That is Japanese soup with super-fat noodles. It was really good.

Between the time orientation ended and the time when we rode the trains to dinner (for the first time), some friends and I walked through a park and explored around some apartment complexes. There were cute children everywhere! We walked past an elementary school and I really wanted to play with the children, but my friends didn't. So I stared longingly at the playground while my friends walked on...but then I was able to convince them to go back! So we played soccer and catch with this cool 11-year-old whose name I could never understand, sadly. But he was so friendly without words, though we were able to talk to him a little bit. The other kids didn't want to play with him or us, but we didn't care because we were having a lot of fun. I got all sweaty, haha.

The train system is really complicated. We have to buy a train pass with our host families on Saturday, which hopefully will make things less complicated. Unfortunately, the train pass only works for one route (home-to-school) and all other routes cost the regular price, which is a lot when it adds up. But my route is so close to Tokyo station. :D

I got lost in the mall after dinner! The group just left without me while I was refilling my water bottle. I started walking one way, and then I remembered in the Girl Scouts that we are always supposed to stay in the last place where other people saw us, so I hung out in the food court while I frantically called people in my group. The third person picked up and came back to get me. Meanwhile I was nervously looking all around and for the first time, everything seemed really foreign and not necessarily welcoming. I was scared, wondering if the group would even notice I wasn't there before getting on the train home. That was discouraging, because they did make it all the way to the train before I was able to call the leader, Mariko.

<---- There are bikes EVERYWHERE in Chiba. I can't believe that people have to pay for parking their bikes, up to $7 for a whole day. I thought biking would be free. :( This is a bike parking lot in front of a grocery store that we saw while we were walking to one of the two train stations near our school. Thankfully, I will go to the nearer station of the two and my walk will be about ~15 minutes instead of 25.

We saw an old dog on the way there, and I asked in Japanese if I could pet it. The owner said yes but the dog looked in bad shape. It was such a sad sight: he didn't want to get up off the ground because he was so old and in pain, and he was losing tufts of hair. The two boys with me didn't seem to know how to approach stray/unknown/potentially angry dogs because they got all up in his face and he tried to bite them. I don't blame him, but I almost cried at how he wouldn't get up off the ground even when his owner wanted to leave. :( Poor baby. Another thing I have noticed: people have smaller dogs here, and they love to dress up their dogs in shirts or dresses.

Also, I figured out why Chiba is so neat and unpopulated compared to what I have seen of Tokyo: Chiba used to be underwater and is an artificial island-type of thing. So all the buildings are new and most people don't live here, it's mostly big buildings and schools that people commute to. It's a great place but I can't wait to go to actual Tokyo, or Koto-ku where I will live.

I was a little embarrassed on the train because our group was obviously American and wasn't blending into the Japanese crowd at all; we were so much louder. Hopefully that will change.

Did you realize that you can click on any of these photos to see them full-size? I just realized that! Here's a cool one, demonstrating how ridiculously colorful the grocery stores are. I got a whole lot of samples tonight, and for dinner I decided to buy things without knowing what they were made of. It was a good strategy. :)


One more thing before I go to bed: almost everything in Japan in English is either "happy" or "friendly". It's so cute to see kids or adults wearing shirts that say, "We have happy life!" or "Shiny happy day" or other fun English things. Here's "Friendly Airport Limousine", which is actually a bus.

This blog entry is too long. Gomen nasai!

6 comments:

  1. I never, NEVER used a squat/hover over the ground toilet in India. I just could not do it. My parents grew up using those, and even they chose not to after being accustomed to Western toilets. Do the toilets in Japan have the differing flush functions? (i.e. pull lever up for light flush, and down for heavy flush)

    I approve of that hugging Japanese student. Teach her the ways of the spine-breaking hug Caroline ;).

    If I were a random Japanese kid and you came scurrying up to me and asked for a sparkler, I would have probably said no myself hehe ;P.

    At your picture: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZZZEEE.

    Is public drinking allowed there? Like, can you just walk around on the streets holding a beer bottle? (In most places in the U.S. you can't do that).

    I want yogurt alcohol! Actually I am curious to see what different kinds of alcohol they have in Japan that taste good/different from U.S. kinds.

    I mean... Japanese school girl outfits are sexy. I agree with you there!

    How is it that Japanese individuals all look distinct? I have yet to figure that one out. Then again many people say that all white/Indian people look the same. I think "everyone" just looks the same if you aren't from that particular country/used to seeing them.

    I know that exhaustion feeling. I remember feeling completely wiped at the end of each day in India, and then waking up the next morning to do it all over again!

    SOY SAUCE!

    That family does look amazing. Wow, that is surprisingly awesome! The Dad looks the coolest in my opinion. I can't wait to see how you get along with them! My prediction: They will either hate you, or LOVE YOU!

    That 8 year old is automatically cool for liking Pokemon cards.

    The commute won't be as bad as it sounds. I was dreading my 50 minute D.C. commute before I got here, and each day it flies by. I usually read a newspaper or something and I don't feel it at all.

    Oh my god an Indian speaking Japanese sounds hilarious. Did he have an INDIAN ACCENT WITH IT? HAHAHAH.

    Wow that experience being lost sucks. I am really surprised that the group leader didn't notice you were missing. Isn't it his/her responsibility to always be counting how many people are in the group, making sure everyone is moving along, etc etc? I can totally echo your thoughts of feeling scared, with everything looking foreign and not welcoming though from India. (I don't mean to keep citing India but so many of our travel experiences seem similar in ways so far!)

    Holy shit bike parking of $7 per day. Hahaha. That's more than car parking per day here in the U.S. at most places! That's hilarious.

    Caroline the last thing you should be embarrassed about is hanging around friends who are TOO LOUD ;D. Plus, you will never "totally blend in" with a group of Japanese people because you are all white! Why worry about that (unless/until someone actually complains that what you are doing is wrong/bad)?

    Hahaha everything in Japanese culture seems to be so crazily colored.

    I <3 long blog posts, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The toilets in Japan have LOTS of functions, like seat-warming, jets of water for the posterior, etc. I wrote about them in my blog for today which I will post shortly. :) They only have one type of flush, though, and it's a ton of water.

    Public drinking is perfectly fine here, although drinking/eating while walking is considered rude. The drinking age is 20 but people rarely card (both because they don't care much about it and also probably because many people look young).

    I don't know if the Indian guy had an Indian accent but his Japanese did sound a little different. :)

    You are quite welcome to keep citing India! Go right ahead.

    No, the loudness is horrible and insulting. I hate the idea of Japanese people thinking that Americans are stupid and loud, which is EXACTLY what several people in our group act like in public. It gets so annoying when I get grouped into the "obviously these Americans don't care about our culture enough to not be rude around us" looks that the group receives. We look different, it's true, but we don't have act like jerks and let people make the association of "different-looking" with "extremely rude". I can't stand it, so a couple people and I usually walk a distance from the loud ones. They seem so culturally insensitive and rude, whether they intend to be or not. You might disagree with me about the importance of this, but I have been doing cultural research on how to act in Japan for over a year, and these people are acting like idiots and putting my (and others') efforts in jeopardy.

    When we talk to the loud ones, they give the same excuse you did: if you can't blend in with skin color, why blend in with actions? But that is not acceptable, because we are here to observe and learn while in public, and do whatever else while in private, because that is the Japanese way. Also, we are not all white: there are Asians and black people on our trip too. As you can see, I care a lot about this, and it frustrates me when others don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also some of the people on our trip smell like horrible body odor and now the Japanese think that Americans stink too. :/ At least, that's what I'm starting to think!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omgggg schoolgirls
    You should get one to bring back to Chapel Hill. Or get a bunch and sell them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Steven, you are so inappropriate! I do hope to get a schoolgirl skirt, at least. :) They are so pretty!

    Are you finally on the second blog post? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE UDON!!! Just saying. And sorry for taking so long to catch up with this blog. :D

    ReplyDelete