Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 3: KUIS/IES/Makuhari tours and shopping (kaimono)!!

Today we had delicious breakfast again and then went on walking tours to the IES Center (the offices where our program is based), KUIS (Kanda University for International Studies, where we have our classes), and Makuhari (the area where we go to school in Chiba). It was a ton of exercise but lots of fun. I'm surprised at how we eat in mall food courts every day, but Shiho said it's much better food than American mall food courts.
<----The view of the TechnoGarden buildings from the IES Center building, from the 14th floor cafeteria.
This area is so beautiful.

We saw Avatar stuff at the mall when we toured there today. There are so many malls here!

When I went to the public restroom, there was a button that you have to press where it makes a loud flushing sound. This is because the Japanese, especially women, are really embarrassed about pee sounds and other bathroom noises. It doesn't sound realistic but it is better than being forced to flush the toilet many times while peeing and waste a ton of water. There is also a "warm shower for your posterior" which I have not tried yet, haha. And a bidet and various other functions like a seat warmer and a detector to tell if someone is sitting (the spray will not work if the seat is unoccupied). Fascinating. :)

Shiho, the awesome student from KUIS, is so funny. Two nights ago she talked about when she traveled to America, possibly to Texas. She said, "HOW can human being be so fat!? America has so many fat people! What do they eat??"

<----Yumi at the mall. She loves cute things.

I am dead tired right now, so let me just give some bullet points:

-I ran into a small pole yesterday with my crotch. I didn't see it there at all because I was saying Sayonara to the boy we played soccer with. I have a bruised ego and crotch!!!
-Speaking of crotches, I am 99.99999999999% sure I saw a man walking down the sidewalk with his dick out, today at the mall at Minami-funabashi station. I asked Shiho if this was normal because I was pretty shocked, and she said, "Yes, I saw a man masturbating in front of IES Center once! He looked so surprised to see me even though he was the one in public. But that is not illegal in Japan." The others in my group don't remember the man very clearly but think I must have been seeing things.
-I committed a serious cultural faux pas today. :( I was trying on a clothing item in the mall and I forgot to take my shoes off before going into the fitting room. The attendant freaked out and gestured wildly at my feet. I apologized and said that I forgot about the shoe rule. I felt pretty bad about that, because I should have known better.
-At dinner, I made another mistake. I ordered a big onigiri and some chicken on a stick (yakitori, maybe) and I asked for chopsticks. The cashier said in Japanese, "Chopsticks? Yes?" Then she gave them to me. But I had such a difficult time eating my food with the chopsticks! Then Shiho said, "You're not supposed to eat this food with chopsticks...just use the stick and your hands." We laughed and I realized why the cashier stared at me.
-Another mistake: I couldn't get the automatic toilet to flush in the mall bathroom! So Yumi had to come into the stall with me and we figured it out, haha. It took a long time!!
-I had a really good green tea+milk bubble tea at the mall! For breakfast today, I got some milk that tasted absolutely amazing, like whole milk plus deliciousness and happiness (like most things in Japan). I put some milk into my green tea and it was incredibly good.
-Speaking of happy things, I got an Engrish t-shirt today!!!!!!!!!!! It is gorgeous. It says, "Go ahead, make day of future" on it, among other things. Here are some more shirts we saw.
-After coming home from the mall today, Shiho and Yumi took us to the Aeon store to get alcohol. I got apricot and honey sake, which was SO SO SO GOOD. I can't wait to get some more in different flavors. They are small bottles that are very cute, so I am keeping a few of them for my apartment. :) Then we went to drink in the park at night, which was funny because it was very safe but seemed a bit creepy by American standards. Alcohol is drunk freely in public in Japan, but drinking/eating while walking is considered rude.
-Tomorrow we meet our host families early, at 10:30am. I am excited but nervous! I hope I am not too tired...

I leave you with this skirt made for very young girls. It says "Respectful" on the butt. How Japanese... :)

5 comments:

  1. you can comment with an live-journal account as well as google and tons of others, did you know this? o_รด whatever haha :D

    i realised today that you already left for japan, last days really rushed by, i didn't notice anything, what have i done? nothing i guess hm...blah~

    however, you're really in japan, it's so amazing! but as i read you had some troubles with the culture i got little bit scared, probably i shouldn't go there, i always get so embarassed if i mess up something, i'm afraid i would die there ._.
    but your pictures are awesome! everything seems to be so huge and modern and totally different to litte, tiny salzburg @_@ probably it's easier to adapt if you're from america, i would feel sooooo small!

    you have to take a picture if you see some lolita girls or cosplayers! they are so cute, the school uniforms as well, i want to be reborn as a japanese girl <3 and of course everything containing more than 50% sugar, oh i love sweets! <3 and take care of sweet alcoholic drinks, they take their time but you can easily get pretty drunk on them without even noticing, oh yeah..haha ;D

    bah, i have to go finish the birthday cake for my dad's wife now, so wish you the best and i hope the meeting with your host family is nice, at least they look like one of the perfect japanese families in manga, hihi <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food always looks so good! I'm going to get some Japanese food today after looking at all the delicious photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are eating at Mall food courts every day, I bet you will be more ok with food courts in America after this :P.

    That is a sick view. I especially approve of the Avatar advertisements!

    That flushing sound is hilarious. I definitely know some women in the U.S. who leave the water running from the tap when they pee to create the same effect (wasting water too).

    HAHAHAHA Shiho rocks for making fun of how fat America.

    Man walking around with dick and masturbating in public sounds hilarious in Japan.

    The bathroom and dinner mistakes you made are also funny. It happens, but I'm glad to see you are learning and having fun with it!

    I am so excited that you are trying so many kinds of Japanese alcohol! You should bring some back to the U.S. :D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Japanese mall food courts are healthier and better than American mall food courts. Even so, I much prefer "normal" restaurants to mall food courts in both countries!

    I should bring some alcohol back to the US, if I am allowed to. Any requests?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made day of future, Caroline. :D But yeah, cool shit, cool shit! And interesting how masturbating in public isn't illegal. I wouldn't do it, though, if the U.S. allowed it.

    ReplyDelete