Sunday, June 13, 2010

Earthquake, shopping, unagi, and studying day :)

Today I got to sleep in for the first time since coming to Japan. :) It was quite nice. My host family and I ate breakfast together: a delicious salad with boiled egg, cheese, rice flake cereal, tomatoes, and dressing. Mmm. :)

I went back to my room to respond to all of my blog comments and then chatted online with a friend and then with my parents via Skype. They met my host family and it was fun, although the internet connection kept cutting out and my sister's camera isn't too good. Then before I knew it, it was lunch time!

I remember that lunch was really good but I forgot what we ate because I was so excited to experience an earthquake!! Yes, there was a small earthquake during lunch! I kept thinking, "If my mom knew that right after I got off the phone with her, I was in an earthquake, she would freak out!!" The word for earthquake in Japanese is "jishin" (じしん). The floor swayed back and forth and it was really fun. The lamp above our heads also moved. It was probably a 2 or 3 on the Richter scale, my family said, and about the same intensity as the one I was in last week while I was sleeping. I can't wait to experience another one, as long as it is relatively small!

After lunch, we went to an "arcade", which I discovered during lunch is the Japanese word for a shopping district, haha. Not the same as an American arcade, which the Japanese call "game center." It was really cool, though! And there was an arcade there too, lol. There were so many shops, and everything was cheaper than what I saw in Shibuya and Harajuku.





The neatest thing was seeing all of the food. I hope next week after class one day I can bring my friends here to eat lunch after school. This would also be a great place to bring my new Japanese friends! I declare today's blog to be primarily about food:





This fish-shaped bread dessert is make from alcohol and whipped cream and some other things, my host family told me. :) It was delicious!

Mmm, yakitori!! They also interesting meats other than bird meat, such as eggs, chicken skin, pig bones which are apparently chewy and therefore unappetizing to me, and seafood.

This was my dinner tonight. YUMMMMMMM. We bought the food in the market and brought it home to eat for dinner. We got pineapple for dessert, along with orange and banana cakes. :) Have I mentioned that I eat a ton of food here? I rarely encounter something I don't really like.

There was Pokemon tofu too. :)

My favorite: unagi (eel). YUM YUM YUM. It was neat to see Taku-chan eating eel because my little brother would rather die before eating that, and my mom might not even eat it either. But Taku loves his interesting foods, like raw egg in his rice (a common thing in Japan that I haven't tried), eel, and tofu. :)



I ate a dried fish like one seen in this picture, except mine wasn't fried. It was a first for me!

After looking at all of the food and buying some for dinner, Namiko-san and Tomoaki-san and I went into a furugi shop that actually DID remind me of the Goodwill! And nearly everything was ~$1!! I got some really neat clothes there. :D

Time for bed again... I get tired so easily here.

4 comments:

  1. In New Zealand, we use both meanings of "arcade", though it's somewhat generational. If my mother and my brother both tell me to meet them in Henderson Arcade, mum will be referring to a long, generally gloomy, indoor corridor with shops on either side; my brother will be referring to a gloomy place full of coin-eating videogames and boys who want to argue over whose combos are "cheap" and how nothing's been the same since people stopped playing Streetfighter II. :-)

    You sound like you're having an awesome time. I worry that you're not going to want to leave again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the deal with Japanese earthquakes? If small frequent earthquakes are the norm, what about disaster causing earthquakes?

    Your response to Japanese food is practically exactly like Stevens response to Indian food! Both of you lie about liking everything you eat hahaha (jk, Steven's honest).

    POKEMON TOFU IS BOSS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disaster-causing earthquakes are more rare.

    No, I really DO like almost everything I eat! The other day I didn't like plain umeboshi (pickled plum) but then when I had a little of it with some meat that was fried, I thought it was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So here I am, finally back to this blog! (sorry for the delay!). First off--gosh-hellfire, you're making me hungry! This looks so yummy! Also, congrats on sleeping in. As for me, I've been sleeping in basically all summer! Well, more like 4-6 days per week; sometimes I have to wake up early for work. And by "wake up early," I mean wake up before 11:30. Yup, I'm spoiling myself.

    ReplyDelete