Monday, June 14, 2010

Kabuki and other types of drama, octopus meals, and English cussing

Today we had class and it was once again interesting. My teacher makes a lot of kanji mistakes, though. On our quizzes, she sometimes writes the wrong kanji and asks us for the definition when we have not studied it. Also, she write kanji on the board in the wrong stroke order or forgetting some of the important details. I guess it's easier to notice for someone who has had to religiously study kanji details recently (me) than someone who is going by instinct and childhood knowledge, and is rushing through it quickly to write the next word.

 Here is a very interesting link with some information about Japanese PDA sentiment.

The best part of today was kabuki theatre!! We went after class to the train station and then into Tokyo, to a special theatre called the National Theatre of Japan. There was a short introduction to kabuki with very helpful information about this style of drama that I had never seen before. Fortunately, we all had English headphone sets that told us some of the background info and translated a lot of the dialogue and connotations. The show we saw was called Narukami. The plot was awesome, you should check out a brief summary here. I was really surprised at how sexual the seduction was! For a play written hundreds of years ago, this must have been very controversial and the commentary said as much. It was neat to see these male-female relations when all of the characters are played by male actors only. That picture is from Narukami but I didn't take it; I was pretty sure that we couldn't have cameras in there. The stylized voices, instruments, makeup, and movement patterns were so fascinating. Before seeing it, I had wondered if I might find it boring but I was riveted. :) Robaato-san agreed and maybe we will go see another kabuki show. The scene we saw was probably an hour or two long, and it was only part of the show, which can be hours and hours long.

Everyone should take a glance at the acting techniques, especially the ways in which the male actors portray women (onnagata). It's so interesting! I liked how the beautiful princess in Narukami was very clever and seductive, being portrayed as saving Japan from drought through her shrewdness and sexuality. Of course, beautiful women were viewed as tricky and dangerous. The actors and the background musicians had string instruments that I bet Steven would have loved. :)


After kabuki, I didn't really want to go straight home, so Ethan, Robaato-san, and I went to a conbini (convenience store) to buy a snack. I would have preferred a restaurant but this was a good idea because we found macha (green tea) Oreo bars! What an interesting flavor. I don't think I'll buy it again but it was neat to try once. It tasted like it was full of green tea powder, and I think it was.


Dinner tonight was wonderful! We had takoyaki, which means octopus balls (not octopus testicles, for those of you thinking that's what it means). It was delicious! Here are some pictures.


 


 


After dinner, I helped Namiko-san with her English (which is extremely good, although she does not agree). I corrected some of her emails that she printed out and she helped me with my Japanese. Then she and Tomoaki-san asked to learn about the various ways to use "fuck", so I taught them, hahaha. It was so funny for me to teach them how to recognize the difference between "fuck off" and "fuck up." They were so studious. :) They said they watched Pulp Fiction and heard "fuck" about a million times. I also taught them "shit just got real." It was a fun night! If only I didn't have a big test tomorrow...

The rainy season started today. It will now rain at least until July, I believe, every single day. Oh well!

9 comments:

  1. Haha, just tell them the real reason why they're making you uncomfortable! That kind of excuse probably won't get to their heads very much. Seriously, you've outlined good things to know here, so tell them just that. It's inappropriate, disrespectful to the professor, and distracting to others; they have other, more appropriate times to do those things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew, I would like to, but these people are very immature and I'm not sure if they would handle it well. But if it happens again, I will talk to them about how this is rude in Japan (my host mom agreed!) and that I will speak to the trip director, whose job it is to make sure everyone has a positive learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this drama doesn't escalate to the point that it interferes with your studies. RUDE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have several things to comment on so i'm going to write a list. i'm good at lists.
    1. i wish i had the courage to tell them that they are being rude or go to a teacher! i am the kind of person that will sit behind them in class and glare at them and wonder why they do not melt into small puddles of brain gelatin and love. well done you for that! it's one of the many reasons i admire you
    2. the kabuki is cool! i am jealous.
    3. in a very non-offensive way that is going to sound offensive but i really mean in an appreciatory manner, the kabuki actors remind me of monty python and the wigs remind me of queen amidala (although that's probably intentional).
    4. is it ok if i send my mom the link to your blog? she would love it! she is very interested in asian cultures.
    5. you should show them other tarantino movies! not that those are representative of american culture, but they're good movies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Yeah, I have frequently been the person who waits quietly for them to get a hint, but over the years I've realized it causes me more frustration than the situation is worth. So I just find the courage somewhere to speak to them.
    3. It doesn't sound too offensive to me. :)
    4. Please do! This blog is for anyone who wants to read it.
    5. Haha, I'm not the biggest fan of Tarantino so I would probably show them other movies instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't the people on your trip (ie the couple you aren't liking here) read your blog? It isn't restricted at all and you post links to it to your facebook each day :P.

    Is that a picture of them by the way in class?

    SHIT JUST GOT REAL SHIT JUST GOT REAL SHIT JUST GOT REAL OH DAYUM! Caroline you have just made my life by teaching them how to say that hahaha. I think the image of you teaching two Japanese adults the different uses of the word "Fuck" is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They can read it, but they already know how everyone feels about them touching each other during class. It's really not okay but they do not care. And that is just a funny picture from Google images.

    It was very funny to me. I giggled a lot during that instruction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off, hell of an interesting link about Japanese PDA! I would very much like to visit Japan, but I could never, ever live there. Also, kabuki! I remember watching a video on kabuki in the Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? computer game. And octopus balls sounds delicious. Aaaand... I lol'ed (should that be spelled lolled or loled?) about teaching them the F-words. And then I lol'ed even harder when I heard they watched Pulp Fiction and heard all the F-words in that film. Because there's a fuck of a lot of fucks in that film.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, really amazing and exciting post as well. Your all images regarding kabuki drama and meal amazed me much. I love theater and just collect my Theater dance dress from at PIJ. I really love to read your post and now I look forward for your next update. Thanks for nice share.
    http://bit.ly/X9c7YE

    ReplyDelete